Monday, December 19, 2005

Iron Eyes

I heard something on the radio the other day that absolutely broke my heart.

Anyone of my generation will remember "Iron Eyes Cody", the native born actor who starred in a number of westerns. Additionally, he was the poster boy in all the 1970-71 commercials on pollution. Remember the line? "People start pollution, people can stop it" as a tear rolled down his cheek.

Well, it turns out that his tear was glycerin, and that Iron Eyes is Italian:
Iron Eyes Cody was born Espera DeCorti on 3 April 1904 in the small town of Kaplan, Louisiana. He was the son of Francesca Salpietra and Antonio DeCorti, she an immigrant from Sicily who had arrived in the USA in 1902, and he another immigrant who had arrived in America not long before her. Theirs was an arranged marriage, and the couple had four children, with Espera (or Oscar, as he was called) their second eldest.
I guess we were being played then as well as we're played now.

2 Comments:

At 10:43 AM, Blogger Lynne said...

Those commercials had a big impact on the way I look at our natural world. I don't feel that I have been played. The point was made, a good point that made a positive impact. A movie can have the same impact and I know they are actors. Doesn't matter. The essence is what is important.

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger greyhair said...

Good point Lynne. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Site Counter
eXTReMe Tracker