Friday, October 07, 2005

Wine Blogging UPDATED

Well, today I got my "crop" of Merlot grapes grown in the Napa Valley. I get my "Caldwell" Cabernet Savignon probably next week. The merlot's will evenutally be blended with some of last years Caldwell and Sonoma Cabernet Franc's to make a classic Bordeaux.

:)

Went this morning to pick em' up, crushed/destemmed em', and they are starting to ferment. I was even able to add some of my own cabernet franc grapes, my first homegrown grapes. I planted my measily 38 vines 2 years ago and will really get my first full cop next year (which should yield about 5 gals of wine, or 2 cases). But I got a couple of pounds this year. Here's my "hired" help picking.


Here's the 2006 homegrown crop. All of it.....


Well...next year should be a little more substantial, maybe 50+ lbs. if I'm lucky.

Anyway, on to the crusher!


After the grapes are crushed and destemmed...Mmmmm:


The "must" is moved into our deluxe winery facilities, where only the finest wines are made:


With the closest attention to temperature control:


And finally, after fermentation is complete, including the winemarker putting his indeliable mark on the wine to make this the finest of Sonoma County, we bulk age our wines in the specially designed wine cellar:


Seriously, I make about 10-20 gals of wine from the best grapes available in Napa/Sonoma counties, so the wines end up being quite good. Oh, and by the way, I also have a ball.

Really feels like fall now....

UPDATE: My assistant winemaker picked up our expensive, bold sign to improve the marketing of our fine wine:

1 Comments:

At 8:10 AM, Blogger Lynne said...

I had to laugh at your photos/captions. It looks SO much like our deluxe beer brewing facilities.
Love the sign, too.
The taste is better when you do it yourself!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Site Counter
eXTReMe Tracker