Friday, October 21, 2005

Is Keller in Trouble

Bill Keller, the executive editor of the New York Times, who replaced Howell Raines after the Jayson Blair fiasco, sent out an email to his staff today. Via Atrios:
I wish that when I learned Judy Miller had been subpoenaed as a witness in the leak investigation, I had sat her down for a thorough debriefing, and followed up with some reporting of my own.

....

But in this case I missed what should have been significant alarm bells.

....

I should have wondered why I was learning this from the special counsel, a year after the fact. (In November of 2003 Phil Taubman tried to ascertain whether any of our correspondents had been offered similar leaks. As we reported last Sunday, Judy seems to have misled Phil Taubman about the extent of her involvement.) This alone should have been enough to make me probe deeper.

...

..But if I had known the details of Judy’s entanglement with Libby, I’d have been more careful in how the paper articulated its defense, and perhaps more willing than I had been to support efforts aimed at exploring compromises.
Looks pretty mea culpa-ish to me. I wonder if Keller is in trouble and in danger of being resigned?

UPDATE: Or perhaps "Pinch" is about to be.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Site Counter
eXTReMe Tracker