Sunday, October 16, 2005

Astounding


This is all over the internets. I've read it numerous times today. But it is so incredibly astounding, I can't believe it:
"The fact of the matter is that when we were attacked on September 11, we had a choice to make. We could decide that the proximate cause was al Qaeda and the people who flew those planes into buildings and, therefore, we would go after al Qaeda…or we could take a bolder approach..."
Yep. Condi Rice said that today on Meat the Press. I cannot tell you how angry this statement leaves me. The sense of powerlessness that comes from such mendacious nonsense is profound. I only hope I can keep my head on straight in the future as the Bush administration leaves this incredibly bad taste in my mouth. It's gonna challenge ever bit of forgiveness I contain.

3 Comments:

At 6:29 PM, Blogger Jage said...

She could've even shortened it by just saying 'Yeah, we made it all up, so what? Who's going to do anything about it?' The saddest part is how many people this won't upset when they hear/read it.

I do disagree with you about one thing, though...when we're talking about this group of arrogant assholes who have lied/are lying to the public on a daily basis, have made us a laughing-stock in the eyes of most of the world and are responsible for the senseless deaths of 2,000 American soldiers and over 100,000 Iraqis (all in an attempt to try and usher in a new-fangled form of fascism to rule our nation), then all I can say is fuck forgiveness. Put them on trial, put them in jail and treat them like social pariahs for the rest of their lives. If justice is ever to be served, I want to see it during their corporeal days...

 
At 5:20 AM, Blogger Lynne said...

I'll forgive them when they've served at least 15 years in prison. All of them.

And I learned a new word today: mendacious.
Thanks. :)

p.s. got vino? How long does it have to sit?

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger greyhair said...

I guess I mean forgiveness in the sense that I can't let the bitterness eat me alive. And I can't hate "the other side" or I become them. It's a struggle. But indeed, prison time would go along way toward a restoration of faith in the system. :)

Lynne - vino....sorta. The first batch is finished with primary fermentation. It's now doing what's called "extended maceration", meaning the wine sits on the skins for about 2 weeks to extract max tannins and goodies. But it is tasting pretty damned good. It won't "officially" be wine (like, out of a bottle) for 2 years. The next batch, 100 lbs. of cabernet savignon should be harvested any ole' day now.... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Site Counter
eXTReMe Tracker